“ Scholarships are awarded innovative projects in the field of drama and performing arts that act as incentives for critical discourse in regards to existential and society-related subject matters concerning Henrik Ibsen. ”
International Ibsen Scholarships were initiated in 2007 by the Norwegian government and handed out for the first time in 2008.
The statutes below were determined by the Norwegian Ministry of Cultural Affairs on January 16th 2016.
Statutes of the International Ibsen Scholarships
1. The International Ibsen Scholarships were estabilshed by the Norwegian parliament in relation to central gouvernment budget for the fiscal year of 2007. The Ministry of Cultural Affairs administers the funds.
2. Scholarships are awarded to individuals, organizations or institutions.
Scholarships are awarded innovative projects in the field of drama and performing arts that act as incentives for critical discourse in regards to existential and society-related matters concerning Henrik Ibsen.
3. In cooperation with Teater Ibsen, the Norwegian Ministry of Cultural Affairs appoints a jury responsible for awarding the scholarships. Jury members are appointed for four years. The jury members can be reappointed.
4. The presentation of the scholarships is an integral part of Skien International Ibsen Conference.
5. Scholarships are awarded based on a written application, which should arrive no later than the predetermined deadline, and which must abide by the rules set for the application procedure.
6. Teater Ibsen administers the scholarships and facilitated the jury’s work.
7. The manner, in which public funds are used, is annuallu reported to the Norwegian Ministry of Cultural Affairs.
Ibsen Awards offers funding of theatre performances world-wide through the Ibsen Scholarships.
The projects must act as incentives for critical discourses on society related matters and be based on one or more of Henrik Ibsen’s plays.
Applications are submitted electronically through this website.
Who can apply?
Individual artists, theatre companies, organizations and institutions.
The scholarship program amount to a total of NOK 2.000.000,-.
(Approx. Euro 205.000,- /USD 248.000,-).
Ibsen Scholarships applications will be evaluated by an appointed jury.
The Ibsen Scholarships will be handed out for the 11th time in 2021.
We have until now awarded 39 scholarships in 27 different countries. See previous winners
The application deadline for the Ibsen Scholarships is April 30th 2021.
The winners of the Ibsen Scholarships 2021 will be presented at Teater Ibsen in Skien, Norway in 2022.
Next Ibsen Scholarship announcement will be in 2022.